Skip to main content
Installation of Maxima in Windows
- Download the latest Maxima version, which is currently:
should download the first file you see, ending
win64.exe, unless you have an old CPU, in
which case you will need the
- Run that file you downloaded to start the installation process.
It might take some time, because the installation program will also
install other additional programs separate from Maxima.
- Once the installation process ends, look in the directory where
you installed Maxima, which will be something similar to:
C:\\maxima_5.41.0. In that directory you should find
a sub-directory named
bin, which has the programs that
were installed. Before you run any of those programs, make sure your
antivirus will not touch the programs there. If you're not sure,
make a backup of that directory somewhere. It happens very often
that after the first time you run Maxima the antivirus deletes
the program considering a virus. The back-up will help you
recover the missing files without having to install Maxima again.
- Before running Maxima, execute the program
lispselector which is in the same
directory mentioned in the previous step. Select "SBCL"
which will solve many errors that appear when using the default
- Try the three interfaces to Maxima that you will find in the
bin directory: Command-line Maxima,
Xmaxima and Wxmaxima. And check
that you get the
%i1 prompt and can execute some basic
- To make sure Maxima can also launch the two graphic programs it
uses, run the following two commands which should create plots:
plot2d (x, [x,0,1]);